Sunday, May 27, 2007

Italian Tomato

The Japanese bakery with the funny Italian name, the Italian Tomato is situated in the food court of the Mitsuwa Marketplace in Costa Mesa. The Italian Tomato is half café and half bakery. The bakery portion has a small but impressive looking line-up.

The Maccha Tiramisu was something that I had never seen before, so I thought, why not. The worse I could do was being out $4.00. The best, find an impressive new pastry.



The Tiramisu is made up of two layers of genoise cake sandwiching a white chocolate mousse layer. The top layer of cake is then covered with whipped cream and then sprinkled liberally with green tea powder.



The genoise cake was light, moist and had a rich, yet subtle vanilla flavor.

The white chocolate mousse was very light; not heavy at all. The white chocolate was folded into whipped cream to lighten up the filling.

The combination of flavors may sound good in theory, but sadly, this missed the mark badly to me.

I am not a big white chocolate fan, and the heavy use of green tea powder gave the whole thing a sort of bitter after taste. This dessert does have a very subtle flavor, so if you’re looking for an over the top type of dessert, this one probably won’t do the trick.

I also had the cream puff ($1.50). The pastry shell is cut in half and a generous serving of pastry cream fills the middle. Compared to Beard Papa, this pastry shell is a little heavier. The pastry cream is a little heavier than Beard Papa as well. This type of filling was more to my liking, as I prefer an almost pudding like filling. The pastry cream at the Italian Tomato is also a little flatter too, as it is a very straightforward vanilla flavor. Beard Papa, in comparison, has a crème brulee type taste. This is not a bad cream puff, and if I were in the area again, I would be happy picking up one of these.

Italian Tomato
Mitsuwa Marketplace
665 Paularino Ave.
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714) 557-6699

No comments: