Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Jerry's Wood-Fired Dogs


This new spot, for me, caught my eye when I was in the area a while back and decided to give it a try the next time I was in the area. From the name of the place, it looked promising. Not your run of the mill hot dog place. These claimed to be wood fired, which to me meant being cooked on top of a grill with an open flame.The hot dogs are all beef; they also have a turkey dog and a veggie dog on the menu. They also offer sausages, salads and burgers. If you like your hot dogs with a lot of toppings this is the place for you. You can top your hot dog with over 30 different items, all of them complimentary. The only toppings that you pay extra for are chili, cheese and bacon slices. They also offer wheat buns, and will grill or steam them upon request.


I decided to try the Spiral Dog, a quarter pound all beef hot dog that has a spiral cut to help impart more smoke and help some of the fat render out. The hot dog is quite large and looked appealing. Upon ordering, they took the hot dog and placed it on top of the mesquite grill. When the hot dog was done, I was then asked which toppings I wanted. I chose the spicy brown mustard and bacon bits. One things is for sure, they definitely don't skimp on the toppings. The hot dog has no natural casing, so for those who like that “snap” to their dogs, you may want to look elsewhere. The hot dog is very meaty, flavorful and does have a distinct smoky flavor, but I was in for a big surprise with my first bite. They pre-cook their hot dogs and then place them on the grill when you order it to basically warm it up again. Sadly, my hot dog was nearly ice cold despite the fact that it was thrown on the grill. I got my order to go, so I was on the road when I discovered this annoying fact.


Jerry’s Wood Fired Dogs
2276 E. 17th Street

Santa Ana, CA 92705
(714) 245-0200

2 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Panda likey da dogs, although I'd definitely miss the "snap".

Vegasbuff said...

CP,

Their signature dog has a natural casing for that "snap". I was in a hurry when I went there so I didn't really get to look at their menu very thoroughly. Despite the cold dog, this place might be worth another shot in the future.